Snow globes

I found a post someone had written about making their own kind of glitter wand. They said their child who is about the same age as my 10 month old really liked it.

I can never find things to keep the attention of my 10 month old, other than things I don't want her to get into such as the trash can, electrical outlets, the toilet, etc. Needless to say, I had to give this one a try.

I started with an empty bottle. The smaller the better. Ideal size would be a bottle for bottled water. We don't drink bottled water so I used what I had.

I added puff balls and cut up pipe cleaners. I also found some ribbon lying around and added that. I filled the bottle with water.

Here's what it came out like.

I had some extra bottles so I made another one. This one I added dice to. I added the dice after the picture was taken which is why you can't see any in the picture.


How did my kids like these? My kids didn't really like them as much as I had hoped. They were fun for a few minutes I guess. I think I liked them more than they did.

My two year old just wanted to either get the dice out of them or add more dice. 

My ten month old tried to eat them.

I still have them around hoping that the kids will take more of a liking to them soon. Maybe they are still too young. 

If you feel ambitious, try adding glitter. I tried one with glitter and it looked terrible. I dumped it out and started over. Also, if you do try adding glitter, don't add the puff balls. The glitter just gets caught in them.

If you make one of these and put glitter in the water, you can get the cloudy swirls that are in a lot of kids toys by adding conditioner to the water and shaking it up. I had an elementary school teacher who opened a kids toy store and told me that's actually what they use in the toys she sold in her store.   

So there you go! Maybe you can come up with some fun snow globes just in time for Christmas.

No comments: