Quiche

This recipe evolved at our house. It started out as one recipe and the version I make now is almost completely different. It mostly comes down to it being a whole lot easier to make. So here goes.

Eggs. They are so good for you. And free range eggs are better for you than the cheaper eggs. When chickens are allowed to wander around and eat grass and things that they naturally would in nature, their eggs are more nutritious.

They may contain (amounts vary from egg to egg):

less cholesterol
less saturated fat
vitamin A
more omega 3 fatty acids
more vitamin E
more beta carotene.

Source

Unfortunately, free range eggs are really expensive compared to the non- free range eggs. My sister came up with a good solution in that they have their own chicken coup. I'm seriously jealous. Except I don't want my yard to smell like chickens. But the eggs would be fantastic. So usually I just look to buy eggs at the store that list higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are important in brain development and are really good for your heart, according to health professionals. People can get lots of this vitamin in fish, but we don't eat fish at our house so I try to get my family to eat lots of eggs when I can.

Here's a picture of the eggs I generally buy:


They are a little more expensive than regular eggs but not as costly as the free range ones.

So... now on to my recipe for quiche.

My two year old actually likes this recipe quite a bit. And I like that it's so easy and flexible.

6 eggs
3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. I use Tillamook cheese because it tastes amazing. I think Tillamook dairy needs to start paying me for plugging their products. But the truth is they just taste so much better than anything else I've ever had.



1/2-1 tsp salt
Whatever other random spices you like in your eggs. I throw in about a half a teaspoon of basil, oregano, and parsley. Onion salt works as well.
Whatever veggies you have on hand, chopped into small pieces. You can use spinach, carrots, etc. I usually grab a bag of frozen vegetables from the freezer and add about half the bag to the bowl.



I mix all these ingredients in a bowl and put them into greased muffin tins. I fill the muffin tins about 3/4 full.



Bake at 400 for 15-30 minutes. This recipe will make a different number of individual quiches depending on how many vegetables you have added. The cooking time also depends on the amount of vegetables. I just watch the quiche cook in the oven until they start to turn brown on top.



That's it! It's easy and quick. They are easy to freeze the unused portion as well because they are already in individual servings. We freeze the leftovers and my husband takes them to work the next day for lunch.

1 comment:

Mark and Kim said...

Ditto on Tillamook. How come there cheese is 10 times better tasting than any other? It's crazy how much better it is.