Dice toy

My two year old is a huge fan of dice. "Dice" was one of the first words that I taught her. I didn't mean to, but there is a book I read to her that has a picture of dice. It was an easy word to say and she picked right up on it. We have a ton of dice from a game we play with our extended family (adults- not kids). My two year old loves play with all the dice. (Watch for the choking hazard with younger kids).

To make the toy, I took a plastic container and cut a square in the top about the size of one of the dice.


As you can see, it's nothing fancy. She has fun with it though. She likes putting the dice in the square hole.

Sometimes we talk about colors. We put all the red dice in first, one by one. Then green, then yellow, etc.


Then she takes the lid off and dumps all the dice out and we start over.

When she understands numbers a little bit better, I will have her turn the dice to a number before she puts them in the container. We may also teach her to add by having her add the numbers on the dice together as she puts them in.


Until then, we'll keep her focused on getting those dice in the container, dumping them out and starting all over again.

No comments: