Counting sticks

This is a counting game.

Here are the materials I used:


Glue
Pen
Sticks
6 Envelopes
Paper
Scissors

I cut the flap off the envelopes and glued them to the paper. Then I wrote one number from one to six on each of the envelopes with the corresponding number of dots next to the number.


I counted out 21 sticks- enough so that the corresponding number of sticks could go in each envelope.


We are hoping this helps our two year old get her numbers down a bit better.

As far as how this went over, she loves playing with the sticks. The envelopes weren't very durable on combo with the wooden sticks. Maybe for long term use, make paper strips instead of using popsicle sticks.

My sister made this project for her classroom and folded her own envelopes and laminated them. It turned out so cute! Here is a picture of what she made:


She also described some activities she does with her students. Here's what she says:

For some of my advanced students, I put popsicle sticks in and they have to tell me if I put the correct amount in the pocket. If I didn’t  put the correct amount in, then we talk about how many more would we need to put in, or how many we would need to take out. This is a great way to teach pre addition and subtraction for the student. Sometimes we put the pockets in order and they can visually see that 6 is greater than 3.

Happy counting!

No comments: