Popcorn

There is one thing not too many people know about me.

I HATE microwave popcorn. Only the microwavable kind. We're not talking just a little loathing here. I seriously get nauseated just thinking about it. I hate the smell. I think it's terrible for you. It's fattening and greasy. It's overloaded with salt. And oh... back to the smell again. Yuck.

Some long, rainy day I'll share my fun pregnancy story about why I hate microwave popcorn. It includes lots of vomiting and burned popcorn. It's a fun one. But here it's not important.

At our house we have a great solution for popping popcorn. And it doesn't include the microwave. A few years ago, my husband bought me an air popper for my birthday. We have made good use of it ever since.

Turns out, popcorn by itself is really healthy. Some of the health benefits include:

It contains antioxidants- you know, the kind found in chocolate. However, if it's between chocolate and popcorn, I'm choosing the chocolate.

It's high in B vitamins- that's a good thing, right?

It's high in fiber- good for digestion. Most Americans don't get enough fiber. Hmmm maybe popcorn can help.

It's a whole grain- the same kind of good whole grains as whole wheat and brown rice. And since it's not refined, those nutrients haven't been stripped away.

And it's low in calories- that is, until you add the butter.

(Sources here and here)

At our house, my two year old loves popcorn. We give it to her plain, without butter or salt. Hey, if she will eat it plain it will be that much better for her. One of her first words was actually "cop-key!" which was her way of saying popcorn.


When popcorn is air popped, you don't have all the grease and fat.

Or the smell of microwaved popcorn.

Jenn

No comments: