Color hunt

My two year old loves to play games. When we say the word "games" her face lights up and she gets so excited. My husband and I went out and bought several kids games on some sort of Christmas sale years ago. We have Candy Land, Jenga, Hi Ho Cheerio, and a few other kids games that are much less complicated than we remembered them being when we were kids.

None of the games we bought were quite suitable for a toddler, however. So I made my own.

I tailored this game to where my daughter is at in her development. There are several similar games people have made that are specific to their child (although someone has probably come up with this one I made before too). Right now my daughter is just mastering colors so I made a game and called it "the color hunt."

I bought some clothespins. One package was about a dollar at Walmart. 


I found some markers I've been hiding from my kids.


I colored 4 clothespins in each of the 8 colors of markers that I have.


Then we put the clothespins in a bag and went on a color hunt. I would reach into the bag and pull out a clothespin. I would show it to my daughter the clothespin and ask her what color it was. Then we would search all around the house for something that was that color. When we found something with the color we were looking for, we would pin that item with the clothespin.

We continued until we had pinned all the clothespins.

Afterwards, we went around and collected all the clothespins. As we found each one, I would ask her again what color the item and clothespin were.

My daughter loved playing this. She also loved the attention and time with Mom and Dad.

Variations of this game I've seen have used shapes on the clothespin, letters, shapes and colors, etc. The possibilities are endless and can be made specific to your child.

Happy hunting!

No comments: