Bath tub crayons

There has been a tutorial for bath tub crayons I've seen around the internet (here for example) and I thought these would be perfect for my kids. My two year old has taken crayons to almost the whole house and I thought, hey, why not the bathtub too?

All that is required is glycerine soap and food coloring.

Seems easy enough.

I bought the smallest amount of glycerine I could find at the craft store (a 2 lb. package) and melted a piece of it in a microwave safe container according to the instructions on the container. Then I added a few drops of food coloring, stirred, and poured the mixture into some decorative molds I had bought at Ikea years ago. Then I let them cool for about 30 minutes.




I put the kids in the bath and handed them their fish and star shaped crayons. I tried to show my two year old that you could color on the bathtub with them, but realized almost instantly that I was going to have a problem.



They don't color on the tub. 

At least not ours anyway. My two year old lost interest after about a minute of trying to get them to work. My 9 month old tried to eat them.

Some good things about them are that they kind of make fun bath toys. The kids also get clean while playing with them.






I really wanted these to work, but they just didn't. They work as toys but not crayons.


Total cost:

Glycerine: $7.50 on sale at Michaels. I would suggest using one of those 40% off coupons they are always giving out. A 2 lb. block of glycerine is $10 full price. Since they were on sale when I went, I couldn't use the coupon.

These soaps could work as bath toys, just be sure you don't let them clog your drain. Too bad they failed as crayons.

Better luck next time.

Jenn

No comments: