Edible paints

I've had my craft paints out for awhile while I'm working on some projects and my two year old has wanted to play with them so badly. So I thought a new painting activity would be fun for her today. I saw this idea for edible paints and I thought I'd give it a try!

I had originally planned on sitting my two year old up at the table and letting her paint different foods, but then I thought better of it. I could just see my carpet covered in colors in a matter of about 5 minutes. So if your kitchen table doesn't have carpet under it, this would be a great painting activity at your table. I decided for the sake of cleaning up, I'd try this one out in the bathtub.

Supplies:
Ice cube tray
Toothpicks to stir
Food coloring
Milk
Paintbrush
Food to paint on such as marshmallows (in our case, we just painted on the bathtub wall)


Put milk in each compartment of the ice cube tray.

Add food coloring to the milk.

Stir the colors into the milk with the toothpicks.

Now it's time to paint.


We turned these into finger paints and painted the bathroom walls. Ideally, however, these paints can be used to paint paper, foods, and whatever else you can come up with.

And if your child eats the paint, there's nothing to worry about.

No comments: