Felt board

I grew up loving my mom's felt board. It was such a treat when she would bring it out. It was big and light blue and had so many fun characters and stories that we learned about with it.

Because I loved my mom's felt board, I wanted to make one for my daughters. But I wanted to make one that they could play with all the time and would hang up in their room.

I saw instructions on how to make one by Martha Stewart. She is the queen of crafts so I thought I'd give it a try.

I went to our local thrift store to see if I could find a big frame or mirror I could use. Unfortunately they didn't have anything I thought would work. So I went to a clearance center a little further from my house. I love this place. I have gotten TONS of Pottery Barn stuff there- it's stuff that's either damaged or unsellable at a regular Pottery Barn.

I found this Pottery Barn kids frame for $3.


The mat is a little dirty but the frame is still in really good shape.

I pulled the mat and cardboard out of the frame.


I decided to cover the brown cardboard part so there wasn't a big indent in the middle of the felt board where the picture would go on the mat.


I chose pink felt because I have two girls and well... we like pink at our house. I bought a yard of it for $2.99 at Joann Fabrics. I definitely didn't need a yard, but I always make mistakes so I bought extra. I cut a piece that was bigger than the cardboard and cut the corners off.

From here, I used hot glue to attach the felt to the cardboard. Packing tape (as Martha suggested) would have been much easier. So I suggest using packing tape to attach the felt.

I covered the cardboard with another piece of felt because I didn't want the cardboard to show through.


Then I put the felt-cardboard back in the picture frame. This is what it looks like from the back.


At this point, I couldn't get the back of the frame on because the felt was so thick. Here's my husband doing it for me.


And that's it! Here's my felt board.


To make felt pieces for the board, all you need is more felt. Felt sticks to felt so that makes it really easy. I got some fabric I liked and hot glued it to felt.


You could make letters, shapes, people, etc. for your felt board. The possibilities are endless.

2 comments:

beth said...

I loved my mom's felt board! She had pictures she would copy from story books and so we could use them to tell the stories. What a fun idea, Jenn!

Mark and Kim said...

Great idea! I'm making one for Ty's birthday this month! And speaking of....Happy Birthday to you!